Milltown-Castlemaine 0-9

Kilcummin 1-14

Castleisland Mart Intermediate Club Football Championship

Round 2 of the Castleisland Co-op Mart Intermediate Club Championship saw Milltown Castlemaine (MC) at home to Kilcummin on Sunday afternoon. In front of a fine crowd with pleasant weather conditions, M/C started without a number of players. Shane Murphy was in for Nigel Wrenn, Jeremiah Hayes was in for Jerome Flynn, Dónal Kelliher lined out for Cathal Moriarty and Derek Twiss started corner forward in place of Jamie O’ Shea. Kilcummin began with 2 points from their 1st round game versus Glenbeigh Glencar-sharing top of Group 1 with Brosna. Kilcummin started out full of enthusiasm and only for the quick reaction of M/C’S keeper Cormac Leane -were unlucky not to have the ball in the back of the net in the 2ndminute. It was the 4th minute before the 1st point was registered, courtesy of Philip Casey for Kilcummin. Another point quickly followed, this time aided over by an M/C hand. M/C had a chance to register a point from a Jack McCarthy free in the 9th minute, but it dropped short in to Brendan Kealy’s hands. Kilcummin added a 3rd point from a free by Noel Duggan to give them a 3 point lead by the 10th minute. Both sides were guilty of errors in the next period. Killian Kerins capitalised on one of these for M/C -with a tremendous burst up the field, aided by Derek Twiss, Donal Dennehy and Pa Wrenn who finished off the move with a fine point. Kilcummin responded with a goal almost immediately- a long range goal from William Maher-son of former MC and Kerry senior Willie. MC responded with three unanswered points- two from Derek Twiss and one from Jack McCarthy. Despite the attentions of the MC backs, Kilcummin’s Kevin McCarthy popped over a point from play in the 21st minute. In the 23rd minute, Kilcummin added another point, this time from centre forward Gary O’ Leary. Gavin Horan adjusted to his role in centre field in great style- pushing forward ably supported by hid mid field partner Brendan Delaney. In spite of this, Kilcummin were picking up a lot of the kick outs and so had had plenty of possession.  In the 26th minute, Kilcummin’s Noel Duggan pointed for the visitors. A free by M/C’s Jack McCarthy in the 27th minute, reduced the lead to 4 points. An error by the Kilcummin keeper on a kick- out was intercepted by Derek Twiss. In the resultant play, Donal Dennehy was denied by the post and the rebound to Brendan Delaney was brilliantly saved by Brendan Kealy. It was Kilcummin who scored on the turnover with a fisted point by Gary O’ Leary.

Half Time- Kilcummin 1/07, MC: 0/05

Kilcummin build on their lead

Kilcummin came out all guns blazing in the second half and were unfortunate to lose their full back, Daniel Moynihan to injury -he was replaced by Chris O’ Leary. Kevin McCarthy registered another fine point for the visitors in the 3rd minute- showing his skill and experience from the Kerry senior panel. Derek Twiss cancelled that out very quickly with an excellent point- with Cathal Moriarty and co-captain Dónal Kelliher setting him up. Gary O’ Leary popped over his third point of the afternoon thus giving Kilcummin a six point lead. MC had a chance to claw one back, but a Derek Twiss free dropped short and it was Kilcummin’s Philip Casey who would raise the next white flag. MC introduced Nigel Wrenn for Jack McCarthy in the 10th minute. Both sides traded wides in the next runs of play. Derek Twiss converted another free for the home-side, quickly followed by a fine point from play for Cathal Moriarty-reducing the visitors lead to five points after fifteen minutes of the second half. Gavin McKenna, who served well in the full back line with Stephen Roche and Pa Wrenn, was unfortunate to have to leave the field of play with an injury and so Jerome Flynn came on. Pa Wrenn received a black card in the 16th minute- to add further to MC’ S woes. Damien Murphy was called on to be his replacement. Kilcummin added another point by way of a free from Gary O’ Leary who was in super scoring form for the visitors. Brendan Kealy stepped up to take a free- from a difficult angle 40 yards, the white flag was raised and so gave his team an eight point cushion.

Red card doesn't stop Kilcummin

As the clock ticked down, Kilcummin was reduced to 14 players following a second yellow to John McCarthy. The home side introduced Mike Burke for Dónal Kelliher. Kilcummin added another point, by their No.6 Philip Casey. MC were awarded a penalty and Derek Twiss stepped up to face the former Kerry Senior and All Star keeper Brendan Kealy. Kealy saved and MC had to be happy with a point from Jerome Flynn some minutes later – which was to be their final score of the day. Jamie O’ Shea replaced Derek Twiss in the late stages of the game. In the final minute, the visitors ended with a point from their no. 4, Seán O’ Leary to give a final score of Kilcummin: 1/14, MC: 0/09. Well done to both teams on a spirited performance. Round 3 is up next weekend- with MC away to Glenbeigh Glencar.