Milltown/Castlemaine 3-18

Kenmare Shamrocks 2-10

Milltown Castlemaine played Kenmare Shamrocks in Kenmare on Saturday evening last, June 16 Th, in Round 7- Division 2, of the County League. Conditions were ideal with just a slight breeze that favoured the home side in the first half. There were quite a few changes from the scheduled starting team for M/C. due to injuries and players not available for selection. The visitors started the strongest with two quick points from Jonathan O Sullivan and Gavin Horan. Paul O' Connor gave Kenmare their first score by way of a pointed free in the 3rd minute. MC had their fair share of possession and so were next to score with a point by Jack McCarthy, quickly followed by another from Gavin Horan, who was to prove to be hugely influential over the remaining 50 minutes of play. Kenmare added their second point with Kevin O' Sullivan doing the honours for them. Jack McCarthy replied swiftly with a well taken point. Paul O'Connor added 2 points from frees for Kenmare in the 12th and 13 Th minute. This reduced MC to the narrowest of leads after 15 minutes. MC: 0/5, Kenmare: 0/04.

Scoring blitz to finish the half

A foul on Jack McCarthy saw Jonathan O'Sullivan pop over the resultant free. However, Paul O 'Connor cancelled it out with a well taken point in the 20 th minute of play. MC went on a scoring blitz between the 20 Th and 30th minute- scoring 1/06. The first of those came from Jack McCarthy who scored 1/02, along with a fisted point from Gavin Horan. Our keeper, Cormac Keane pulled off a super save in the 26 Th minute to deny Míchael McCarty a goal. A tremendous turnover by Jeremiah Hayes led to some great play by Donal Dennehy, David Roche and Gavin Horan. This move culminated in a point from Jonathan O ' Sullivan in the 27 th minute. Kenmare's Tom O' Sullivan popped over a point for Kenmare in the next passage of play. In the 29th minute, a mark by Pa Wrenn led to a super ball into Jonathan O'Sullivan, who lobbed a high ball in towards the square and Jack McCarthy finished to the back of the net. Mid fielder David Roche added a point just before half time, after it was saved off the line by the Kenmare keeper. This left a score line of MC: 1/12, Kenmare Shamrocks: 0/07 at the short whistle.

Two second half Kenmare goals not enough to deny Milltown/Castlemaine

The second half resumed with MC having the benefit of a light breeze. Kenmare Shamrocks started the brighter in the second half- scoring a point in the very first run of play. The third minute saw Kenmare score a penalty-by way of Dylan O' Connor-as well as some slight assistance from the post. This brought the score difference to just four points. MC: 1/12, Kenmare Shamrocks: 1/08 Kenmare had much of the possession in the early stages of the 2 nd half. Fortunately Stephen Roche and Jeremiah Hayes were both strong in defence- turning over much ball. Kenmare keeper Ray O' Shea denied MC's Jonathan O' Sullivan a goal, with a super save on the line, in the 8 Th minute. MC powered on and added a point in the 12 Th minute, from Jonathan O Sullivan, having being fed some great ball by Gavin Horan and Gavin McKenna. However, Kenmare responded immediately with a brilliantly taken goal by Dylan O'Connor- his second of the game. This gave a score line of 1/13 to MC, 2/08 to Kenmare. Donal Dennehy popped over a free to give his team a three point lead at the end of the first quarter of the second half. Kenmare replied with a point from play by Ciarán O' Sullivan. The turning point of the game came in the 19 Th minute- with a vital interception by Jeremiah Hayes. A well placed kick pass to Shane Murphy, who passed onto Jack McCarthy and then onto Jonathan O'Sullivan -who calmly palmed the ball past the Kenmare keeper, for MC’s second goal of the game. This gave them back a more comfortable four point lead, in the 21st minute of the second half. Kenmare Shamrocks swiftly replied with a point from Kevin Price, which was their final score of the game. MC introduced some of their bench, including Thady O' Sullivan and Eoin O' Mahony. A mark by Gavin Horan, who played outstandingly throughout the game, breaking down the Kenmare defence on many occasions, passed off the ball to Jonathan O' Sullivan and the final move saw Jack McCarthy find the back of the net in the 24th minute.MC added three more points before the final whistle - Jonathan O' Sullivan in the 27 th minute, Jack McCarthy in the 28 th and the final one came from Craig Counihan in the dying seconds of the game. A super performance all round- from our keeper Cormac who pulled off some fine saves, our defence of Damian, Ciarán and Stephen along with our half back line of Gavin McKenna, Pa Wrenn and Kieran O' Carroll all gave 100 %. Our mid field duo - David Roche and Donal Dennehy were a great combination, pushing forward all the time. Alan Hickey started very well in the forwards but was unfortunately injured and his replacement Craig Counihan was solid in the half forward line with Gavin Horan and Jeremiah Hayes ably supporting him. Our full forward line of Jack McCarthy, Shane Murphy and Jonathan O' Sullivan all put in a tremendous performance. Our players off the bench, Eoin O' Mahony and Thady O' Sullivan both played their part in a highly positive performance. Well done to all involved- to Paul, Liam, John P and our chairman Podge for their work with the team.